Life will never be the same again

When the Corona virus pandemic hit South Africa in March 2020, we had less than 10 days to prepare for Lockdown. The shock, disbelief and fear were overwhelming. Suddenly, we were faced with a situation that would change our lives forever. Life will never be the same again. The loss of one’s spouse has a similar effect. Shock from the trauma, disbelief that he is gone and fear for the future are overwhelmingly difficult to confront. You do not need to make any long-term changes yet. Take one day at a time. Handle each day according to what that day presents. One task at a time. If a task or challenge is too overwhelming, set it aside for another day, Slowly, you will begin to work out a new routine, sometimes without even realizing it.

My Husband is Gone

Parable:  

The reality has not hit home yet.  Can it be true?  Is this just a bad dream? No matter the circumstance of his passing, the initial shock is surreal. You feel as though the air around your head is buzzing.  Your brain is so foggy, that questions and answers don’t make sense.

What now? What must I do next? How am I going to cope?

Suddenly there are so many people phoning you,  the children buzzing around you, fussing over you. Everyone wants to support you although they don’t know how.  They too are feeling the loss.

Words of sympathy don’t make sense.

You try to keep busy.  You try but cannot stop the tears, no matter how hard you are trying to be brave. The tears are not just wet ones.  They burn deep inside your chest, like an overwhelming heartburn. 

Visitors.  You try to smile for your visitors.  You busy yourself making tea and coffee.

You want to be alone.  But you are afraid to be alone.

 

Pebble:    

Take a hot bath or shower.  Let the tears flow.

Put on clean, comfortable clothing.  This provides a sense of refreshing.

Let someone else make the tea.  

Relax in your favourite armchair or under the tree in the garden.

Hand your phone to a friend.  Let them answer the calls and the questions.  You will only

exhaust yourself if you try to answer all the questions about his passing.

 

Prayer:

Father God I cry out to You, hear my cry for help.

Please, please listen to my prayer.                                                                                      
I find myself in a very strange space, like a faraway land, that is so unfamiliar.                   
I am feeling so overwhelmed. I do not understand what happened today.                               
I call to you for help.  I feel so weak and helpless!                                                             
Carry me to a high rock where no one can reach me.                                                                            
Only You are my place of safety, a strong tower that protects me.                                                     Please let me know Your peace and comfort today and in the days ahead. Amen

Adapted from Psalm 61


No comments:

Post a Comment