Life will never be the same again

When the Corona virus pandemic hit South Africa in March 2020, we had less than 10 days to prepare for Lockdown. The shock, disbelief and fear were overwhelming. Suddenly, we were faced with a situation that would change our lives forever. Life will never be the same again. The loss of one’s spouse has a similar effect. Shock from the trauma, disbelief that he is gone and fear for the future are overwhelmingly difficult to confront. You do not need to make any long-term changes yet. Take one day at a time. Handle each day according to what that day presents. One task at a time. If a task or challenge is too overwhelming, set it aside for another day, Slowly, you will begin to work out a new routine, sometimes without even realizing it.

Clichés and Platitudes


                        Parable:  

           Here are 3 parables from 3 different widows:


Anna lost her husband Ed, after a long illness.  She says:  “Cancer had dominated our lives for the past 3 years.  All our plans, our lifestyle, travelling and camping, had been replaced by pain, nausea, and chemotherapy.”   This put strain on their marriage, relationship and happiness.    As the cancer progressed, he became more and more demanding.  Yet, Anna lovingly cared for him to the end, neglecting her own health.  Then he was gone… forever.  Anna entered the whirlwind of emotions, loss and grief.   And then began the platitudes.  “He’s in a better place”.  “He has no more pain”. “You must be so relieved”.    Even the sympathy cards with poems with wording like  “Do not miss me when I’m gone. Dry your tears and move on” 

Anna's response is:  "Ed's struggle has ended. He went peacefully in his sleep. So yes, he won. He went from the pain of cancer to being ushered into the arms of His Saviour, and being made whole. I'm sad for me but rejoicing for him!”

Jane told me:  “I don’t like it when someone dies and it’s referred to as “losing their fight with (some disease).”  When my husband died, he didn’t lose his fight with MS. He was instantly transported to heaven and welcomed by his Saviour. He is now free from his wheelchair, and has a new body which works as it should. That sounds like a WIN to me!”

Cornelia's story was different: “I did not understand why he was taken so suddenly.  He left home that morning, after sharing a joke with me, and never came home.  They told me he died instantly in the accident.  “At least he didn’t suffer” people would say.  “He’s in a better place.”  But where do all these words leave me?  I am suffering now.  I am not in a better place…”

Pebble:  

Words that are expressed in kindness, yet stab the heart. The widow needs to understand that people mean well, but often do not know what to say.  So, they use familiar words which they think are appropriate!!!  But unless they have experienced what you are going through, they cannot understand how much these platitudes / clichés can hurt one’s fragile emotions.! Try not to take any notice.  Forgive them as they are only trying to be kind.

Scripture:   

Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."  Luke 23:34a

Prayer:   

Father God, please help me, for people say hurtful things.  Show me ways to forgive those who are trying to be kind.  Help me to comfort those who loved and also miss my husband. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment